On Monday, Nike CEO Mark Parker and NFL VP of Product Development Paul Polian announced that Nike’s Nike+ wearable technology is “far superior to the NFL’s current helmet” technology, as the two highlighted the company’s progress over the last year.
“Our research shows that when it comes to the technology, we’re ahead of the game,” Parker said in a press release.
“We’ve seen a dramatic improvement in how our users experience our products and we’re seeing significant gains in the quality of our players.
This is what we want to be known for: a better product, better technology, and a better experience.”
The pair also highlighted that “with the NFL offering a helmet-to-helmet pass, we’ve seen an increase in player trust in our technology and we believe that we have the best player safety product in the world.”
The announcement comes at a time when the NFL has been in the midst of a concussion crisis in the wake of the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson incidents, which have sparked criticism of the league’s leadership in handling the crisis.
Last month, the league announced a $1 billion settlement with the players union for its role in the 2015 Ray Rice/Adrian Peterson suspension.
With the NFL season now underway, the team has not been shy about publicly stating that it plans to invest more resources into its technology and player safety, even as the team’s star players continue to fall ill.
On Monday, the company announced that it will “continue to invest in our new technology, training, and player engagement platform that will make it possible for our players to play at the highest level possible.”
On Friday, the NFL also announced that the league will invest $200 million to “support player health and safety.”
“We are making significant progress toward our goal of increasing safety and providing players with a safe environment,” Polian said.
“The NFL is a great example of the best of what sports can do.
The players are doing incredible things to improve and support each other.”